Thursday, September 24, 2015

My Awakening

One of my all time favorite passages of scriptures is found in Alma 32.  Recently as I was rereading this section of scripture, I was reminded of the influence that this powerful chapter had upon my life. I was at an important crossroad of my life.  I was only 18 years old at the time and I had made a complete mess of my life.  I was miserable and very unhappy.  I knew that there was more to life than what I was living.  Thankfully there were people in my life, whom I respected, who were able to teach me what I must do to overcome the mess that I had made.  

There is an evening that has been forever imprinted upon my memory and is the key turning point of my life.  I had been in to meet with my Bishop to seek a priesthood blessing for strength.  As I visited with him, I had shared some of the temptations that were pressing down on me, temptations that if heeded, would continue to keep me from finding lasting peace and happiness.  My bishop loved me and felt great concern for me.  Under the inspiration of the Holy Ghost he told me, "Kendi, I feel that if you fall this time, you will never be back."  His words shocked me.  I felt a great sense of fear over the seriousness of my situation.  I did not know if I would be able to be strong enough to withstand the temptations that I was facing.  As I walked home that evening, I continued to hear the words that had been spoken by my bishop and I wondered, "How can I truly make it through this time of testing?"  

As I prepared myself for bed, I knelt and tearfully plead with the Lord to help me. It was the longest prayer that I had ever given up to that point in my life.  I was spiritually and mentally exhausted when I had finished my prayer but sleep would not come to me.  I tossed and turned,and then was given the prompting to read the Ensign.  It was late, but I had the strong desire to be given strength that I was lacking. As I read, I prayed in my heart that an answer would be there specifically for me and my situation.  I read talk after talk, and while they were each beautiful messages, I did not feel that they held my answer.  As I was nearing completion of the Ensign, my prayer became more intense and I recognized that I desperately needed His help; and then it happened, my answer came.  I turned the page to one of the last talks and saw its title, "Faith is the Answer" by Virginia H. Pearce.  Tears filled my eyes as the Spirit came upon me and I knew that within the next few pages, I would find the answer that Heavenly Father wanted to give me.  Peace gently distilled upon me.  I continued to read the messages that followed, all of which were centered on the gospel principle of faith.  In the talk, "Growing Up Spiritually," Sister Janette C. Hales referenced Alma 32.  She said, "There is a chapter in the book of Alma--chapter 32--which seems to me to be written especially for young women.  Alma teaches us how to exercise our faith and increase our belief in the words of our Heavenly Father."(Link to talk can be found here.)She then extended an invitation that I accepted that night, which was to read Alma 32 and circle the word every time it was written in this chapter.  She taught that this specific chapter would "help [me] understand how [my] faith in Jesus Christ can be strengthened." 

I took her challenge that night and was blessed to have the light of the Savior dispel the darkness that was surrounding me.  Great spiritual power came into my life that evening and I have since never been the same.  My experience was much like Alma the Younger and Saul's.  Heavenly Father sent angels, in the form of a bishop and General Auxiliary leaders, to speak the words I needed to hear to help put my feet solidly on the gospel's path.   From this experience I have come to know more than I knew before that Heavenly Father does care so very much for His children.  He hears and answers our prayers.  My answer did not come immediately, it required effort on my part, but when it came, I knew it and I knew that I was never going to be the same!