Friday, July 10, 2015

In the Lord's Hands

Life is a whirlwind here in our home right now.  Blake has nineteen days until he leaves to serve in the Houston, Texas mission for 24 months.  I have a wide spectrum of emotions, ranging from anxiety to impatience to excitement.  Having our oldest son Zach nearing the completion of his mission only adds to these emotions.  Preparing to send my sons on a two year mission is like being on a roller-coaster ride!


I had to put this picture in only because our local amusement park took a picture of several of us riding on the roller coaster and used it in their ad.  I love that I am sitting next to Blake, enjoying the ride together.
  
I have been doing more reading in the Book of Mormon.  This week I have been reading about the sons of Mosiah and of their desire to serve a mission among the Lamanites, who were not friendly towards the Nephites at this time.  One of the things that stood out to me as I read this story this time, is that it appears to have been a difficult decision for Mosiah to let his sons go.  I think that perhaps one of the main reasons for this feeling was that Mosiah new that his sons could be entering territory that ultimately could cause physical harm to his sons.  I love that in Mosiah 28:6, Mosiah "inquire[s] of the Lord" to see if he should let his sons serve this mission.  The answer that he is given is beautiful.  In verse 7 the Lord tells Mosiah to "Let [thy sons] go up, for many shall believe on their words, and they shall have eternal life; and I will deliver thy sons out of the hands of the Lamanites."  The phrase that stood out to me was the promise that these sons would be delivered out of the hands of the Lamanites.   How comforting that must have been to Mosiah!  

I learned a great lesson regarding this principle shortly after Zach had left to serve his mission in Brazil.  It wasn't a matter of being delivered from people holding him in bondage but of being in physical harm.  Each Monday I have anxiously anticipated hearing from Zach through email.  One particular email I received from him caused a great deal of alarm and anxiety.  He wrote telling us that he had had an allergic reaction to an unknown substance.  He had sought medical attention and a shot had been given.  The shot seemed to making his condition worse.  He sent a picture of his face and I was shocked to see that his eyes were almost completely shut and his face was extremely swollen.   I was in a panic over this situation.  I suffered that whole day over worry for him.  How could I possibly wait an entire week to hear from him again to know how he was doing?  Fear took over and I could not function.  The next morning when I woke, the feeling of worry was pressing down hard on me.  It also happened to be his birthday and I desperately needed to know that he was alright and not suffering.  Mission rules are very strict and parents are not to contact the Mission Office unless of an emergency.  To this anxious mother, this was an emergency!  I tried calling the office but no one answered the call.  I fell on my knees, crying to the Lord for help.  I needed to know that my son was doing alright.  During those moments on my knees, I had an impression come to my mind and I was directed to get on Facebook.  I thought that this was a crazy thought but thankfully I followed the prompting.  When I opened my account I saw that I had a friend request.  I felt directed to look at the request.  It was from a person I did not know and we had no mutual friends on Facebook.  Typically I ignore these type of requests but I felt prodded to open this persons profile to see who they were.  When I looked, I was stunned to see that this person was from Brazil.  I thought to myself, "Could they possibly know my Zach?"  I immediately accepted the request and then sent a message asking them if they by chance knew of an Elder Chase.  Through this technological medium, I was able to learn that the person who had sent me this friend request was the Bishop's wife in the ward where my son was serving.  She had been taking care of my son, helping him to seek the medical attention that he needed, and felt that she should find a way to reach out to me.  She also sent me pictures to allow me to see that he was improving.  You can imagine the feelings of gratitude I felt in being able to see that he was starting to get better.  Never before in my life have I ever received such an immediate answer to prayer!  This woman of God, was able to help a worried mother gain peace that her son was doing alright.  She had been inspired to reach out to me and to be an answer to my prayer.

As I have thought about what Blake will face as he embarks on his mission, I do not feel fear over his well being.  Because of the experiences that I have had with Zach, I have come to know that the promise that the Lord made to Mosiah, is applicable and real for me.  The Lord protects those who serve Him.  While it is true that accidents do occur while missionaries are serving, I completely trust that in the Lord's hands, my boys are safe!  I am so grateful for the many experiences that I have had that have helped me come to trust more fully in the promises of the Lord.  I know that He lives and I know that when we turn to Him, He gives us exactly what we need, exactly when we need it.  Trust Him.  Believe Him.