Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Gratitude...day 9

Have you ever had the unfortunate experience of police lights suddenly appearing in your rearview mirror?  That's where I found myself tonight.  I thought for sure it was because Macie was riding in the front seat of the car.  I let out a groan as I also realized that I did not have my purse with me.  I pretty much knew that I was in super big trouble.  My girls started to panic but thankfully I felt calm inside.

As the police officer approached my vehicle, I rolled my window down and was very upfront with him over the fact that I knew why he had pulled me over.  He smiled at me and said, "You do?"  He laughed and asked me the reason for my being pulled over.  Out came all the ramblings over the fact that I knew that my daughter should not be riding in the front seat of the car.  I then also let him know that this was not my only problem and I told him about not having my purse with me.  I have to tell you that I was pretty much ready to take whatever he had to give me as far as a ticket goes.  I knew that I deserved it but this officer was so kind to me.  He told me that the reason he had pulled me over was because my rear taillight was out and that I needed to get it replaced.  I could not believe it!   After he checked my name to make sure I had no warrants out for my arrest, he let me go with a promise that I would never allow my daughter to ride in the front seat of the car again and that I would always carry my license with me.  I made the promise and as I left, I felt so grateful.  I was treated with decency and respect and I did not have to pay a fee that really would have not been a welcome thing in our lives right now.  I learned some lessons as did my girls and we came home happy!  Oh the sweetness that is still ever so present in dear Bismarck, North Dakota!