Saturday, May 30, 2015

Our Slivers Can Be Removed

Splinters or slivers, I am not a fan.  They are tiny, foreign objects that cause pain and if they are not removed, can cause infection. I have learned some things from splinters and how they relate so well to sin and the Atonement.


When one of my son's was about 6 years old, he had gotten a sliver in his hand.  He came into the house crying because of the pain that it caused.  I could see it and could tell by the angle that it had entered his skin that with a little lift of his skin, I could easily remove the sliver.  As I brought a needle and tweezers to my son he would not let me touch the sliver, he was afraid that it would hurt more to have the sliver removed.  He went back outside but continued to suffer because of the pain from the sliver.  I watched him from the kitchen window.  He sat under a tree, holding his injured hand, crying.  I went out to him, trying to comfort him and asked him to try and remove what was causing the pain.  Again, he would not let me near the sliver out of fear of being hurt more.  I felt so sorry for this boy.  The pain he was experiencing was so unnecessary but until he was willing to accept the help, he would need to suffer.  I told him, 

"Son, I want to help you. I can help the pain go away.  When you are ready for me to help, come to me and we will get the sliver out."  

Close to an hour passed with my son suffering.  He finally reached a point where the pain was more than he could bear.  He came into the house and with great big tears rolling down his cheeks asked, 

"Mom, will you take my sliver out?"  

The feelings of love I felt for this tender boy were strong, how I wanted to help him!  Before I began removing the sliver I told my son that I did not want to hurt him and that I would take great care in taking the sliver out.  As I began the process of taking out the sliver, my son sat with complete trust in my ability to take away his pain.  I will never forget the reaction he had when the sliver was out. With tear stained cheeks, he threw his arms around my neck and told me, 

"I don't hurt anymore."  

I have reflected a lot on that experience and the blessings we receive from the Atonement.  I have thought about the times in my life when mistakes have been made and I have a "sliver in my spirit" that is causing great pain and discomfort.  There have been times when like my son, I was afraid to approach the Healer.  I was afraid that the removal of this "splinter" would hurt more than leaving it in.  I have learned though, that the Healer, even Jesus Christ, is merciful and kind; He longs to help us become pain free. 


In 2 Nephi chapter 9 verses 7 and 45, I have learned that an "infinite atonement" was made so that I can "shake off the chains of him who would bind [me] fast."  Satan wants me to suffer, he does not want me to seek after the Savior for relief but I have come to know that when I need help, Jesus Christ is the only one who can help me.  I find it to be very reassuring that so often the scriptures give the invitation to"come unto the Lord."  He is there.  He is real.  He has power.  He will remove all "slivers" from our souls.  When we turn to Him, we can say like my son, 

"I don't hurt anymore!"