Thursday, June 13, 2013

Called to Serve

From the moment our sons were born, we began the practice of "preparing" them for the day when they would go on a mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.  Zach has had his papers submitted for a few weeks.  Due to the fact that Chris is the Bishop, we had the privilege of seeing when the assignment had been made, which was on May 31.  Each day after that we approached the mailbox with an increased excitement and wonder and each day we were left with the feeling that "maybe tomorrow it will come." 

Well, Tuesday I heard the mailman place the mail in our box and so I immediately went to check it.  We have a box that is attached to our home and the lid was completely closed.  I let out a sigh and thought yet again, "maybe tomorrow" because in every instance in the past, large white envelopes that come to my husband from the church always leave the lid partially open.  As I opened the box, I saw a large white envelope on the bottom of the stack of mail, curled inside the box.  I quickly removed all other letters and saw this:

I squealed and ran in the house cheering that it was here!  Zach was working and so I sent him a text letting him know that it had arrived.  When he came home, he came running in the house, excited to see the envelope.

 
He had to go to work at his other job, so he hid the envelope.  It was very hard to wait for him to get off of work but finally the time arrived.  I kept thinking about how it was so hard to believe that this was really happening.  Where was he going?  When would he leave?  Where had the time gone?   How did he grow up so fast?  I also had strong feelings of gratitude that he was choosing to serve a mission and it was hard to focus on anything else but the call.  Finally the time arrived and he was home!
 
We gathered as a family as soon as he walked in the door.  He is patiently waiting for me to set everything up...phone calls, cameras, etc.  Looking at this picture and seeing him hold the unopened envelope, makes me wonder what he is thinking right at this moment.

 
I have tried in vain several times to upload the video of him opening his mission call.  Zach has been called to labor in the Curitiba Brazil mission.   He reports to the Brazil MTC on October 16, 2013!  Can I just say....HIP HIP HOORAY!!!